The museum complex is located half way
between Port Austin and Port Hope Michigan, on the “Tip of the Thumb”. We had our start
as a lumber town in 1854, with Langdon Hubbard being the town founder. His descendants
are still keeping the history alive by caring for the buildings of his time. Most of the
11 buildings on 10 acres were built after the 1881 fire that wiped out Huron City. Please
see the Local History section for more information.
We are open in July and August on Fridays and Saturdays. Our hours are
from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
We have two tours that are available. One is of the village buildings – the log cabin,
the Huron City Church, the community house/hotel, the United States
Life Saving Service Station and the general store.
The other tour is the House of Seven Gables. Each tour takes an hour, so both tours
take two hours. The House of Seven Gables was named after the book
by Nathaniel Hawthorne and was built in 1883. The furnishings are
from the late 1800’s, early 1900’s.